Monday, August 4, 2014

A Healthier Chocolate Chip Cookie



It's my Birthday AND National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day! To celebrate, I thought I'd bake up a few chocolate chip cookies. I've been sticking to my no flour no sugar diet really well. Okay, unless you count my birthday dinners out with friends. I did eat salads, but I sort of fell down on the wine and dessert portions of the meal. But, otherwise, I've been sticking to the diet pretty good.


Being that I'll be "cheating" by using chocolate chips, I thought I should at least make the cookie part as healthy as possible. I found a sugarless (it also happened to be flourless) cookie recipe in the diabetic section of an old cookbook I have. I thought I'd "tweak" it a little  to make it a chocolate chip cookie.



Here's the recipe (in case you want to try it!)

Healthier Chocolate Chip Cookie-

1 cup peanut butter (read the label, it shouldn't have any added sugar)
1/2 cup water
1 cup shredded raw apple
2/3 cup coconut oil
3 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup chopped nuts (I used pecans)
1/2 cup chocolate (or carob) chips

Preheat oven to 350F. Mix all ingredients together and let stand 10-15 minutes for oats to absorb moisture. Drop by Tablespoonful onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for about 25 minutes. CAREFULLY remove from cookie sheet and let cool completely (I let mine cool in the refrigerator as the cookie will be sort of crumbly). Dough can be frozen for future use.

Printable recipe




I hope you'll try the recipe, it's so yummy!

Happy Baking!

Lori

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...