Wednesday, March 13, 2013

"Thyme" Saving Baking Mixes


Let me start by saying that I STRONGLY dislike this whole time- changing thing! Changing from Standard time to Daylight savings time this week has greatly tampered with my universe. It's NOT just losing an hour. It's the whole disruption of my sleep cycles. I'm losing HOURS of sleep and I am NOT happy about that! I say choose one....Standard time, Daylight savings time , or split the difference by a half an hour. I don't care. Just pick a time and stick with it!


All right, I've ranted enough. Since time savings has been on my mind (obviously). I thought I would share one of my "Thyme" saving baking mixes. I LOVE these mixes! They are handy all year long, but really handy around the holidays!



Today's mix is Sweet Bread Mix. It's great for making sweet breads and muffins. You know, banana bread, pumpkin bread, applesauce bread, muffins, etc. I'll be sharing the recipes for lots of these types of recipes in future posts (see the bottom of this post for the list). Let's get started by making the mix first, though.

Sweet Bread Mix

12 cups all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp. baking powder
2 Tbsp. baking soda
3 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. ginger
2 Tbsp. cinnamon
2 cups sugar
2 cups brown sugar
3 cups butter flavor shortening

In a large bowl, stir flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon and both sugars together with a whisk until blended.


Use a pastry blender or mixer to blend in shortening until evenly distributed.


Spoon into a 24 cup storage container with a tight fitting lid. Label and date. Store in a cool, dry place. Use within 10 to 12 weeks.

Printable recipe

Your mix is done! I'll post some recipes in the next few days so you can get to baking!

Recipes using this mix:

Cranberry Applesauce Muffins
Pumpkin Cranberry Bread
Tropical Banana Nut Bread

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...