Thursday, June 12, 2014

Pattern Pointers

In a DESPERATE need to make some summer tops (went to unpack my summer box, but it was nowhere to be found). I decided that this would be the perfect time to share some of my favorite sewing tips.


Remember back last fall when I made this post about my new sewing machine. Did you expect lots of sewing posts? Yeah, me too. My life doesn't always (ever?) goes as planned. So, naturally, neither does my blog. Let's change the lack of sewing posts, shall we?

Today, we'll talk about patterns.



One of my biggest frustrations is the tiny envelope provided with most patterns. You tell me, no matter how good of a map folder you are, is it REALLY possible to fit all that pattern tissue paper back into that little envelope?

After years of sewing with the old Stretch & Sew patterns and their large envelopes.....I came up with this solution.


I purchase large shipping envelopes and paste the pattern envelope cover to the front (and the back to the back).


NOW, I can get that pattern into that envelope!

If that's not enough of a tip for you, I have one more.....freezer paper. To trace your pattern onto. Because, I don't know about you, but that tissue paper is not going to hold up to very many pinnings. Once I have a pattern that FITS, I tend to make that pattern A LOT! So, I want the pattern to hold up to many uses. This also allows me to retain the tissue in CASE I change sizes (up OR down).


To make it easier to see the markings, place a piece of freezer paper under the pieces you will be tracing. Make sure to trace all the pieces you need. Transfer all of the markings to your new pattern pieces.


There you have it! A new (sturdy) pattern all ready to cut out and sew up!

Happy sewing!

Lori

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...