Thursday, August 28, 2014

How to Freeze Zucchini


It's that time of year.....zucchini season! I have found a lot zucchini recipes that I want to try. It's getting close to fall (and our first frost). Fall and winter are my favorite time to cook and bake. Not to say I don't cook and bake during summer, but I hate to heat the house up and do my baking in the bbq.

The best way I've found to preserve zucchini for fall baking/cooking is to freeze it. I've been freezing zucchini for years now. I usually use little freezer containers to freeze in, but last year I found this great idea on Pinterest (I find the best stuff on there). There was no link, just an image, but it was one of those "why didn't I think of that" moments.


While the zucchini is coming out of the garden strong right now, I thought I would share this little how-to with you. You know, in case you want to fill your freezer with zucchini for your fall/winter baking/cooking.


Grate your zucchini.


Press as much moisture out of your zucchini as possible. I use my favorite Tupperware bowl/colander set that I've had for a gazillion years (I tended to accumulate the stuff back in the day my sister sold it). You could also place a colander into a larger bowl to catch the liquid.


Pack the grated zucchini into a measuring cup (I use a one cup measure).


Carefully unmold onto a baking sheet. Place in the freezer for several hours until the mounds of zucchini are frozen and firm. Carefully remove from the baking sheet. If you notice, I place a thin cutting sheet over the baking sheet, it seems to make the zucchini a little easier to remove. Parchment paper would probably work too.

 
Place the removed zucchini mounds into freezer bags. Remove as much air as possible from the bags when you seal them. Label and date and put in the freezer to freeze completely.
 
When it comes time to bake this fall or winter, remove the amount of mounds (cups) you need. Thaw overnight in the fridge and you're ready to bake!
 
Happy freezing!
 
Lori

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...