Friday, September 20, 2013

Assembly Line Maple Leafs



It's starting to feel like fall! My ABSOLUTE favorite time of the year! There's a crispness in the air. The leaves are beginning to turn to brilliant shades of reds, golds, and oranges. This has inspired me to get back to making Maple Leaf Blocks.

I know,  I yammered on about making a few blocks every month in this post. That didn't last very long. You just cannot imagine how distracted I can get. It's truly a wonder I can get ANYTHING done! I REALLY want to get a smallish quilt (lap quilt size?) finished out of these though. Possibly as a Christmas gift for a friend. If you don't commit, you don't feel as bad when it doesn't happen....just sayin'.

I decided to set everything up assembly line style to make the most of my block sewing time. Since I used a different color for the applique, I began by stitching the "stems" to the background blocks.


Then, I chain-stitched the triangles together. One background color and one Maple leaf color.





Once the stitching was done, I cut the connecting threads apart and pressed them open. I started by laying out the pieces of the block.


Then, I stacked the next block's pieces on top of the last block's pieces. (Make sure to do this close to your machine).



Now, you'll have little stacks of pieces all layed out and ready to sew!


Just start picking up the pieces off the top and start completing your blocks.


Even if you're not making Maple Leaf blocks, you could use this method to make whichever block you're making. Pretty soon, You'll have a whole passel of blocks!


Happy Quilting!

1 comment:

  1. I love these! Great colour and wonderful pattern!
    Esther
    esthersipatchandquilt at yahoo dot com
    ipatchandquilt dot wordpress dot com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...