Sunday, June 21, 2015

First Day of Summer


This evening, on the first day of summer, I decided I should plant some annuals. I've really been enjoying the perennials in my flower beds (which reminds me....I need to do some more Easy to Grow Perennial posts......), but, they just need the punch of summer color annuals provide.

Besides that, someone at work (that would be me) ordered some BEAUTIFUL plants and some of them were just whispering my name (okay, not really whispering, more like screaming!). AND. Shouldn't you plant something on the first day of summer? I think so!




I have a very shady area in this flower bed that I thought needed some lobelia and impatiens. Both of these annuals are SUPPOSED to be deer resistant. I think I've mentioned before, deer don't seem to read the list of what they're not supposed to eat. Last year, I tried sprinkling blood meal around some of the plants I thought they might eat and it seemed pretty effective (at least until fall, when they'll eat ANYTHING!). I figured "what could it hurt?", if nothing else, it's a good nitrogen fertilizer. So, I'm repeating that logic this year and so far, so good!

I also wanted to plant some annual peppers, eggplant, and basil. Since my vegetable garden is already full, I decided to plant them in a large container that will sit on my front porch (we'll see how long it takes for the deer to get up on my front porch).


I place the Anaheim pepper (it was the largest) in the back. I had to add some stakes to support it a little.


On one side, I placed a Jalapeno pepper next to the Anaheim.


On the other side I put the eggplant. Are you wondering "Can you grow Eggplants next to peppers?". Yeah, me too! That's why I'm trying it. Sometimes my life is like a science experiment!


In the front I put the basil and a red chili. Then I filled in the spaces with more potting soil, moved the container to the front porch and watered in. I can't wait to see how it grows!


The last thing I planted was some Rosemary. Actually, Rosemary is considered a perennial in most places. It's borderline hardy here in our climate though. If our winter doesn't drop below 0F (which isn't very likely), it might survive. Otherwise, I'll just enjoy the growth I get this summer. It'll provide fresh Rosemary for cooking (and some to preserve later). M-m-m-m-m.....I can hardly wait!

Stop by your local nursery and pick up some plants to enjoy this summer. You won't regret it!


Happy Gardening!

Lori

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...