Sunday, September 20, 2015

The Last Weekend of Summer.....


Warmer than normal for this time of year. So, this morning (before it got too hot) I wanted to take advantage of the sunshine. I harvested a few of the root crops. Potatoes, beets and some carrots. I also harvested some more herbs to preserve.

Since we've already had our first killing frost, I did a little garden clean-up. It included a bit of weeding and ripping out some of the annual plants.


I really wasn't ready to give up the fresh herbs for cooking idea, so, I bought a few of my favorite cooking herbs and a pretty container and planted them up to set on my kitchen counter. I have a south facing window and get quite a lot of sunlight through that window. I'm pretty sure it will be enough light to grow herbs through the winter. If not, maybe I'll get an inexpensive grow light to mount under my cabinets.


I can just taste all the soups, stews, sauces and fall recipes with fresh herb flavor now! In the meantime, I'll just keep taking advantage of the good weather to continue getting ready for fall. Even though we need the rain (and snow), I'm kind of hoping for a nice, warm fall as I have a list of outdoor chores I want to get accomplished before winter, a mile long!

How's the end of your summer going? Are you getting a lot of your projects wrapped up before the weather turns on us?

Happy End of Summer!

Lori

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...